Relocating to Charlotte can be an exciting but stressful time! On top of your moving to-do list, you are also tasked with the overwhelming responsibility of trying to find the perfect home in an unfamiliar area. Here are some top tips from our relation team at Premier Property Solutions to help you find your dream home from miles away.
1. Make a list and check it twice. This is a good rule of thumb when it comes to buying any home whether it’s across town or across the country. Make a list that includes your budget,wants and needs. Remember to be flexible with your wants list and don’t necessarily rule out homes just because they might need a little cosmetic work. Go beyond your estimated mortgage and factor in estimates for utilities, transportation and monthly entertainment to better understand your overall monthly expenses.
2. Do your homework. Before you enlist the help of a realtor, use the Internet to do research. With a little Google detective work, you can find valuable information about different neighborhoods such as average home price, walking score and crime rate just to name a few.How far from work? How close is the nearest shopping mall? These are all questions that can be answered without having to set foot in the city.
3. Review local schools. This is, obviously, an absolute must if you have children. In fact, “great schools” is probably written near the top of your must-have list if you are a relocating parent with children. Websites such as greatschools.org allow you to search schools by zip code, review ratings and read posted comments. Even if you don’t have children, buying a home near a desirable school can increase the demand and value of your home if you were to ever resell.
4. Plan ahead. Whether you have a year or only a month, be sure to plan ahead! Although the majority of your time will, most likely, be spent searching for your new dream home, don’t forget about your moving to-do list. Hire a moving company, gather important papers and valuables,notify the post office and so on. Moving takes a lot of preparation and organization so enlist int he help of your family, friends, neighbors and anyone else who is willing to help.
5. Hire a real estate agent who specializes in relocation services. We can’t stress this one enough! Real estate agencies that specialize in relocation services have a better understanding of your wants, needs and concerns during this exciting and stressful time.
Premier Property Solutions is happy to offer experienced relocation services for those clients moving to or from the Charlotte metro area.